The Student Sustainability Association at Penn (SSAP) will be hosting an open meeting on Wednesday, April 3 at 8:30pm in Bishop White (2nd floor of Houston Hall). This meeting is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about SSAP, what SSAP has accomplished this year, and what positions are open for the SSAP elections on April 17.
It's the most wonderful time of the year at Penn: Green Week!! From Friday, March 22nd, until Saturday, March 30, there will be a plethora of environmental & sustainability focused events happening on campus, sponsored by the Student Sustainability Association at Penn (SSAP). Invite your classmates, friends, and tell your fellow student groups to come out and learn what's going on in the environmental community at Penn!!!
PennCycle Turns 1 - Friday, March 22nd at High Rise Field (39th & Locust) from 12 to 4pm. There will be free food from local businesses, mocktails, PennCycle rides and of course, a birthday cake. There will also be a raffle to win a free PennCycle t-shirt and Greek lady gift card!
Earth Hour - Saturday, March 23rd at High Rise Field (39th & Locust) Field from 8:30 to 9:30pm. If you live in the high rises, turn off your lights and come enjoy the campfire, music from student groups and s'mores. Power Up Gambia will also be hosting a dinner in the dark in celebration of Earth Hour!
PennGarden Workday - Sunday, March 24th outside of Rodin at 2pm. Help PennGarden get ready for the spring season!
Divestment at Penn Photobooth - Tuesday, March 26 and Thursday, March 28 - Come out, sign the petition to urge President Gutmann and administrators to divest their holdings from fossil fuels, and capture a photo of the moment!
Dessert Hour - Wednesday, March 27th from 8:30 to 9:30 in Bishop White, 2nd floor Houston Hall. Come join SSAP & Green Acorn for dessert and learn about the happenings in the environmental community at Penn and how to get involved!
GreenFest - Friday, March 29th at Wynn Commons from 4 to 7pm. Hosted by Penn Environmental Group (PEG) this semesterly event is one big palooza for all our green groups on campus. Come out for a sustainable fashion show, student bands & group performances, tie dying, and a Philadelphia Bicycle Coalition raffle!
Greeco Reps & Penn Sustainability Review Social Event & Raffle - Friday, March 29th at Blarney's from 9:30 to 11:30. Join Greeco Reps & Penn Sustainability Review for a Social Event at Blarney's, and pick up a copy of Penn's undergraduate sustainability magazine!
Literary Tour - Saturday, March 30th departing from Kelly Writer's House at 2-4pm. Come join PennCycle & Kelly Writer's House on a tour of historic landmarks around the city of Philadelphia. PennCycle rides, t-shirts, and prizes will be awarded!
Information session: Wednesday, April 3 – 8:30pm
Elections: Wednesday, April 17 – 8:30pm
Please submit your candidacy to the SSAP website (www.ssapenn.weebly.com/contact) by Sunday, April 14. Email Maya Chacko (outgoing co-chair) with any questions (email@example.com).
SSAP Election Process
1. Co-chairs: The co-chairs organize and preside over all general body and executive board meetings. There is one co-chair position open for election at the end of the spring term.
2. Vice Chair for Marketing and Communications: The vice chair for marketing and communications is in charge of running SSAP’s Facebook and Twitter accounts and making banners, posters, and other marketing materials. This Vice Chair will update and reorganize as necessary the SSAP internal website (www.ssapenn.weebly.com) and coordinate with Green Campus Partnership to update the SSAP page on Penn’s official sustainability website.
3. Vice Chair for Events and Outreach: The Vice Chair for Events and Outreach is in charge of organizing the logistics of events held by SSAP. He or she also encourages collaboration between SSAP and non SSAP groups to plan events, developing ties with other student groups to help build SSAP's presence on campus.
4. Treasurer: The treasurer is in charge of keeping track of all funding applications and the budget. The treasurer is responsible for communicating with student groups about funding and reimbursement policies and updates. He or she also works with Green Campus Partnership to coordinate reimbursements. The treasurer is in charge of moderating the common funding application portal and the internal SSAP funding page on the weebly website.
5. Secretary: The secretary takes notes at each general body and executive board meeting, including taking attendance, and is in charge of sending out the weekly newsletter.
Come join fellow literary enthusiasts and bikers for a fun Saturday afternoon on a FREE Literary Bike Tour of Philadelphia! We'll be meeting at the Kelly Writers House at 2:00pm and after gearing up with free t-shirts, snack packs, water, tour maps, and some bike safety reminders, we'll be heading off to some amazing literary wonders of the city, including:
The route should only take an hour to complete, but bikers will be free to go at their own pace! We'll have experienced bikers dispersed throughout the group so everyone knows exactly where to go.
At the end of the tour, we'll be giving away lots of cool biking gear and other prizes. And if you're one of the first 15 people to sign up, you'll receive a FREE Bike Tour t-shirt!
Don't have a bike? No worries! We've collaborated with PennCycle (Penn's bike share program) to make sure you're covered! If you're one of the first 10 people to select a free bike rental ticket along with your registration, you'll be guaranteed to get a FREE bike to use for the bike tour!
Register here for FREE: http://literarybiketour.eventbrite.com/
Any questions/comments/suggestions? Feel free to email Jenny Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to the Kelly Writers House, the Creative Ventures Fund, Students for Sustainability at Penn, PennCycle, and Terracycle for your sponsorship and partnership for this exciting event!
This year's Green Week will take place March 22-30, with events hosted by SSAP members groups each day. The week will start off by a World Water Day event hosted by Amnesty and UNICEF and with a celebration of PennCycle's first birthday. On Saturday evening, Power Up Gambia will host an event before Penn Environmental Group's political committee hosts the official Earth Hour event in Philadelphia. Sunday Penn Garden will host a work day at 2pm. Monday-Thursay, Divestment at Penn will have a photo-booth on Locust for members of the Penn community to show their support for divesting Penn's endowment from the fossil fuel industry. Wednesday will be the weekly IES seminar. Friday is packed with the semi-annual Greenfest and a Greeco-Reps fundraiser with PSR Quizzo and in collaboration with Green Acorn. Wrapping up the week, Saturday Kelly Writers House in collaboration with PennCycle will host a literary bike tour.
Overall, Green Week 2013 includes events hosted by 12 student groups. You can check out SSAP's internal website and Twitter for updates.
Green Week partnering groups: PEG, Amnesty, UNICEF, Penncycle, Power Up Gambia, Penn Garden, Divestment at Penn, Eco-reps, Penn Sustainability Review, Green Acorn, PeenCycle, Kelly Writer's House
March 22: World Water Day (Amnesty and UNICEF )
Penncycle Turns 1
March 23: Earth Hour + PUG
March 24: Penn Garden Work Day (2pm)
March 25-28: DAP Photo-booth on Locust
March 27: Coffee Hour
March 29: Greenfest
Potential Greeco-Reps Fundraiser
March 30: PennCycle / Kelly Writers House Bike Tour
News and updates from SSAP and our constituent groups.